The original Cohuna Weir was constructed in 1908-1910 with eight bays built from local redgum timber. In 2006, Goulburn-Murray Water (G-MW) engaged AWMA to design, manufacture and install the flow control gates, control systems, electrical works and access platforms required for the reconstruction of the Cohuna Weir and Offtake.
The three AWMA Head & Discharge Gates designed for this project were 2m x 2.15m and manage the same water flow of 900ML (maximum 1500ML) per day. The Head & Discharge Gate is effectively two gates in one. The upper section of the gate can be lowered allowing water to flow over the top of the gate during normal operation, or the lower section raised during periods of high water use allowing water to be released under the gates. The Cohuna Weir control gates are automated using AWMA HVA 24VDC actuators, remotely controlled from G-MW offices via radio link communications.
The new Cohuna Weir Offtake consists of three Hollow Section UnderShot Gates with AWMA HVM (manual) actuators and access platforms for pedestrians and GMW operators.