PUMP INTAKES - GRAVITY OFFTAKES - FISH DIVERSIONS
A Fish Exclusion Screen is basically a large filter (like a sieve). The filter has slot sizes from 1mm to 3mm that prevents all stages of fish life from entering through the screen.
A Fish Exclusion Screen distributes and reduces the velocity of water flow as it is delivered through gravity diversions (channels) or pumped diversions. This often reduces flows from a few metres per second down to 0.1m per second. Subsequently, the diverted flow has a significantly reduced impact on the natural waterway. This is important when protecting floating eggs, juveniles and small bodied fish that can not swim away from high velocities, often becoming entrained in a diversion flow or impinged on a screen.
As expected, if the screens exclude fish and fish eggs they will also exclude other objects in the waterway from entering the diverted flow, subsequently protecting turtles, platypus and other animals as well as isolating weed and debris. This level of debris exclusion reduces system downtime, increasing energy efficiencies and improving water quality. Surprisingly, the Fish Exclusion Screens are basically maintenance free. This is due to the unique self-cleaning features and the distributed screen area ensuring very low approach and through slot velocities.
There are proven designs of Fish Exclusion Screens that have operated in very harsh conditions for up to 20 years with minimal maintenance. Fish Screens are new to Australia but have been used and proven in other countries.
AWMA have introduced to the Pacific Region; innovative, field proven Fish Exclusion Screen designs for fish protection and/or debris control. International screen designs have been adapted to meet Australian conditions and performance criteria to protect the interests of both, native fish and irrigator. Solutions are designed for each application to ensure the product meets site specific performance requirements, accommodates local conditions and considers installation criteria to ensure the most effective and economical solution is provided.
- Innovative self-cleaning screen system
- Manufactured to suit all pump and gravity offtake capacities
- Suitable for sensitive, abrasive and/or corrosive environments
- Various size screen slots depending on the application (down to 2mm)
- Durable, robust construction methods and materials
- Automation options
- International design with 20+ years’ proven performance
- Innovative cleaning system increases efficiencies
- lowers maintenance and improves water quality
- Full compliance with regulations for native fish protection as well as other aquatic life
- Low whole of life cost, long product life
- Excludes debris as well as aquatic flora and fauna
- Improved water quality results in reduced filtration maintenance
- Lower pumping costs from increased pump efficiencies
- Decrease pump system maintenance
- Custom designed to best meet client screening and operational requirements
- Install on new or retrofit to existing infrastructure
- Local customer service and support
- Irrigation diversions
- Urban water intakes
- Hydro power facilities
- Debris dense waterways
- Water extraction facilities
- Cooling water intakes
- Minimum and maximum depths
- Size of screened offtake
- Flows (e.g.: Fast, slow, gravity)
- Access (e.g.: Transportation, cranage etc)
- Maintain water distribution
- Access to power
- Cultural, historical and environmental impacts
Overcome screening challenges with AWMA’s locally manufactured, supported and serviced range of proven fish exclusion and debris screens